Herbed Brown Gravy
Yield:: 1½ cups
A luscious, rich, all-purpose gravy that's as perfect on tofu, tempeh, and seitan as it is on potatoes, rice, and grains.
- 2 Tablespoons arrowroot, kuzu, or cornstarch
- 3 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⅓ cups water or vegetable broth
- tiny pinch each dried sage, thyme, rosemary, and oregano leaves
- 2 Tablespoons tahini
- 1 Tablespoon Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula nutritional yeast flakes
- Place the arrowroot in a 2-quart saucepan, and stir in the soy sauce to make a smooth, thin paste. Gradually whisk in the water or vegetable broth and dried herbs. Place the saucepan over medium-high heat, and cook the gravy, stirring constantly with a wire whisk, until it thickens and comes to a boil.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat, and beat the tahini and nutritional yeast flakes into the gravy using the wire whisk. Serve the gravy at once, or cover the saucepan with a lid to keep it warm.
Serving size: ¼ cp Calories: 51 Fat: 2 gm Carbohydrates: 5 gm Protein: 2 gm