Use this creamy pesto as a luscious topping for pasta, potatoes, rice, or vegetables. It is also fabulous spread in a thin layer on fresh Italian bread and topped with thinly sliced tomato.
Yield:: 1 cup
- ⅓ cup pine nuts or coarsely chopped walnuts
- ¾ cup crushed, lite silken tofu (firm)
- I cup fresh cilantro leaves, packed
- 2 Tablespoons light miso
- I Tablespoon olive oil
- I Tablespoon Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula nutritional yeast flakes
- I to 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- heaping ¼ teaspoon salt
- Place the nuts in a small dry skillet, and toast them over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until they are golden brown and fragrant, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat, and immediately transfer the nuts to a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Add the remaining ingredients and process the mixture until it is smooth.
- Serve immediately, or transfer the pesto to a storage container, and chill it in the refrigerator. The chilled pesto will be at its peak of flavor if served within 4 hours
- The Cook's Secrets:
- Fresh herbs are the secret to making fabulous pesto. If you prefer, traditional fresh basil leaves may be substituted for the fresh cilantro.
Serving size: 2 Tbsp Calories: 68 Fat: 5 gm Carbohydrates: 3 gm Protein: 4 gm