Walnut Praline Cheeze Pie
Yield:: 8 servings
Luscious, cheeseless "cheese" pie with a sweet nut crust. For an especially elegant dessert, top the chilled pie with fresh fruit or berries, or a thick fruit sauce or glaze.
- NUTTY CRUST:
- 1 cup ground walnuts
- ⅓ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup light unbleached cane sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- CHEEZE PIE FILLING:
- 1 pound reduced-fat regular tofu (firm), rinsed, drained, and patted dry
- ¾ cup light unbleached cane sugar
- ¼ cup arrowroot or cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula nutritional yeast flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Mist a 10-inch pie plate with nonstick cooking spray, and set it aside.
- To prepare the crust, place all the crust ingredients in a medium mixing bowl, and mix them together until they are well combined. Pat this mixture in an even layer in the bottom of the prepared pie plate. Bake the crust on the center rack of the oven for 10 minutes. Remove the crust from the oven, and let it cool for 5 minutes. Do not turn off the oven.
- Crumble the tofu well, and place it in a food processor or blender fitted with a metal blade. Add the remaining ingredients , and process the mixture until it is completely smooth and very creamy.
- Spoon the blended mixture evenly into the partially baked crust, and carefully spread it out using a rubber spatula. Bake the pie on the center rack of the oven for about 40 to 45 minutes, or until the top is very lightly browned.
- Remove the pie from the oven using pot holders or oven mitt s, and place it on a wire rack to cool to room temperature. Chill the cooled pie in the refrigerator at least 4 hours (or longer) before serving. Do not cover the pie until it is thoroughly chilled as it will sweat and become soggy.