Velvety Cheeze Sauce
Yield:: 2½ cups
Use this velvety, cheddar-stylesauce on vegetables, pasta, rice, or toast
- 1 medium potato, peeled and coarsely chopped
- ½ cup chopped carrots
- ½ cup chopped onions
- ¾ cup water
- ¾ cup crumbled, lite silken tofu (firm)
- % cup Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic granules
- Place the potato, carrots, onions, and water in a 2-quart saucepan, and bring the water to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium, cover the saucepan with a lid, and simmer the vegetables, stirring once or twice, for 10 minutes or until they are tender.
- Place the cooked vegetables , their cooking liquid, and the remaining ingredients in a blender, and puree them into a smooth sauce. NOTE: If your blender jar cannot comfortably contain all the ingredients, you will need to puree the sauce in batches. To do this, combine all the ingredients in a medium mixing bowl, and add to the blender bowl in batches. Process each batch until the mixture is completely smooth. Rinse out the saucepan and pour the blended sauce from each batch into it. Continue processing the remaining ingredients in a similar fashion.
- Place the saucepan over low heat, and warm the sauce, stirring often, until it is hot.
Serving size: ¼ cup Calories: 46 Fat: 0 gm Carbohydrates: 8 gm Protein: 4 gm