Yield:: 4 sandwiches
Tofu Bacon, Lettuce & Tomato - a vegetarian classic.
- 1 recipe Tofu Bacon (see The Cook's Secrets below)
- 8 slices whole grain bread, toasted
- 4 Tablespoons Low-Fat Egg-Free Mayonnaise, or your favorite egg- and dairy-free mayonnaise, or tahini, as needed
- 2 ripe, medium tomatoes, thickly sliced
- 4 very thin slices of mild onion (optional) salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 large leaves of leaf lettuce or romaine lettuce
- Prepare the "bacon" as directed, and set it aside.
- Place the toast on a flat surface, and spread one side of each slice with some of the mayonnaise or tahini. Distribute the "bacon" equally among four of the slices of toast on top of the mayonnaise or tahini.
- Place the tomato slices over the "bacon." Sprinkle them with salt and pepper, to taste. Place the onion slices, if using, over the tomato. Then add the lettuce leaves.
- Place the remaining toast slices over the lettuce, spread side in. Slice the sandwiches in half, and serve.
- The Cook's Secrets:
- The "bacon" may be prepared in advance and chilled in the refrigerator. It is not necessary to reheat it prior to assembling the sandwiches.
Serving size: 1 sandwich Calories: 186 Fat: 5 gm Carbohydrates: 22 gm Protein: 11 gm