Sadie's Vitality Broth
Yield:: 4 to 6 servings
No ruffled feathers go into this nutritious, soothing, simple soup. It's the perfect broth and noodle soup any time you please.
- 6 cups water
- 1½ cups cooked or canned garbanzo beans (chick-peas), rinsed well and drained
- ¼ cup Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh parsley, or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil or olive oil (see The Cook's Secrets below)
- 1 teaspoon onion granules
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon garlic granules
- 1/a teaspoon turmeric
- ¾ cup dry orzo (a rice-shaped pasta) or any other small pasta of your choice
- Place all the ingredients except the pasta in a 4½-quart saucepan or Dutch oven, and bring to a boil.
- Add the pasta to the boiling mixture, and stir well. Reduce the heat slightly and simmer the soup, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is tender, about 20 minutes. Serve hot.
- The Cook's Secrets:
- Toasted sesame oil is a dark, aromatic oil made from toasted sesame seeds. It is prized for its tempting, delicious flavor and is used primarily as a seasoning. Toasted sesame oil is available in natural food stores, Asian grocery stores, and some supermarkets.
Calories: 169 Fat: 2 gm Carbohydrates: 29 gm Protein: 9 gm