Yield:: 4 servings
This is a quick sandwich staple-the vegetarian answer to beef-based Sloppy joes-that both kids and grownups adore.
- 1 cup textured vegetable or soy protein
- ⅞ cup almost-boiling water
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sweetener of your choice
- 2 teaspoons Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula nutritional yeast flakes
- 4 whole grain burger buns, split, or 4 slices whole grain bread, toasted and cut into triangles
- Place the textured protein in a small, heatproof mixing bowl. Pour the almost-boiling water over the textured protein, and mix well. Let the mixture stand for 5 minutes.
- Place the oil in a 2-quart saucepan, and heat it over medium-high. When the oil is hot, add the onion, reconstituted textured protein (from step #1), and soy sauce, and saute them until the onion is tender and lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the buns or toast, and mix well. Reduce the heat to medium , and simmer the mixture, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring often. Serve over the split buns or toast points.
Calories: 274 Fat: 5 gm Carbohydrates: 41 gm Protein: 17 gm