Incredible Cashew Creme Cheeze
Yield:: 1 cup
This amazing spread is thick, rich-tasting, and remarkably low in fat compared to dairy-based cream cheese. It is an ideal spread to top toast, crackers, and, of course, bagels.
- 1 cup water
- 3 Tablespoons "raw" (unroasted) cashew butter
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2½ Tablespoons kuzu or cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula nutritional yeast flakes
- heaping ½ teaspoon salt
- Place all the ingredients in a blender, and process until smooth.
- Pour the blended mixture into a I-quart saucepan. Place the saucepan over medium-high heat, and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly.
- After the mixture thickens, reduce the heat to medium and continue to cook, stirring constantly, for I minute longer. Immediately pour the mixture into a I-cup storage container. Let cool, then cover and chill in the refrigerator.
- Pineapple Creme Cheeze:
- Drain well ¼ cup pineapple tidbits packed in juice, and stir into the hot mixture.
- Fruited Creme Cheeze:
- Stir I to 2 tablespoons fruit-sweetened jam or preserves into the hot mixture.
- Herbed Creme Cheeze:
- Stir I tablespoon minced fresh parsley or I teaspoon dried parsley flakes, ¼ teaspoon dried dill weed, ¼ teaspoon well crumbled, dried rose mary, ¼ teaspoon crumbled, dried thyme leaves, and ¼ to ½ teaspoon minced garlic into the hot mixture.
Serving size: 2 Tbsp Calories: 47 Fat: 3 gm Carbohydrates: 4 gm Protein: 1 gm