Yield:: 2 cups
This rich, creamy, lemony sauce will remind you of hollandaise, but you won’t miss the butter and eggs. It's wonderful and festive over steamed broccoli or baked potatoes. This recipe was created and contributed by Mark Shadle and Lisa Magee, owners of It's Only Natural Restaurant, an extraordinary, totally vegetarian eatery in Middletown, Connecticut.
- 1½ cups crumbled, lite silken tofu (firm)
- ½ cup low-fat, nondairy milk
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 Tablespoon tahini
- 1 teaspoon turmeric (for a buttery-yellow color)
- ½ teaspoon dried tarragon leaves
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Place all the ingredients except the olive oil in a blender or food processor, and process until very smooth and creamy.
- Drizzle in the olive oil while continuing to blend.
- Transfer the sauce to a I-quart saucepan, and place it over medium low heat. Warm the sauce, stirring often, until it is heated through. Do not boil!
- The Cook's Secrets:
- The sauce may be made ahead of time and refrigerated. Heat it gently before serving
Serving size: ¼ cup Calories: 99 Fat: 8 gm Carbohydrates: 2 gm Protein: 4 gm