Gee Whiz Spread
Yield:: 2 cups
This recipe is from my book The Uncheese Cookbook. It is one of my favorite recipes of all time because it is so easy to make and so versatile to use. Just like jarred American cheese or "velvetized" cheese products, you can use Gee Whiz Spread as a filling for sandwiches or a topping for crackers. Slather Gee Whiz Spread onto buns, and serve it with your favorite vegetarian burgers for instant "cheeseburgers." Stir several spoonfuls into your favorite soups to make them "cheesy" tasting. Add it to a nondairy white sauce for an instant "cheese" sauce. Or simply thin a little Gee Whiz Spread with a bit of nondairy milk, and warm it over a low flame. (See the variation for Instant Cheeze Sauce below.) Pour this luscious sauce over broccoli, cauliflower, macaroni, fettuccine, or potatoes for a special treat. As you can see, the possibilities for this nutritious, magical food are endless. Make some soon and watch it quickly disappear.
- 1½ cups cooked or canned Great Northern beans, rinsed well and drained
- ½ cup pimento pieces, drained
- ⅓ cup Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula nutritional yeast flakes
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons tahini
- ½ teaspoon onion granules
- ½ teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Place all the ingredients in a blender or food processor fitted with a metal blade, and process several minutes until the mixture is completely smooth and no flecks of pimiento are visible. You will need to stop and start the blender or processor frequently to stir the mixture and scrape down the sides of the jar or work bowl. The finished product should be very thick, smooth, and creamy, with an even orange color.
- Serve immediately, or transfer the mixture to a storage container, and chill it in the refrigerator. It will keep for about a week.
- Instant Cheeze Sauce:
- Combine 2 cups Gee Whiz Spread with 1 cup low-fat , nondairy milk in a 2-quart saucepan. Warm over medium-low until heated through, stirring often.
Tomato Con Queso Sauce:
- Combine 1½ to 2 cups tomato salsa with 1 cup Gee Whiz Spread. Serve at room temperature, or transfer to a 2-quar t saucepan, and heat gently over low until warmed through, stirring often.
Serving size: 2 Tbsp Calories: 48 Fat: 2 gm Carbohydrates: 6 gm Protein: 3 gm