Exquisite Broccoli Bisque
Yield:: 7 cups
The enchanting flavor of this creamy soup makes it exquisite company fare, but the simplicity of the ingredients and directions make it perfect for everyday meals as well.
- 4 cups chopped broccoli (peel stalks well, if using)
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 teaspoons dried tarragon leaves
- 2 cups low-fat, nondairy milk
- 3 Tablespoons Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula nutritional yeast flakes
- 3 Tablespoons almond butter
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ground white or black pepper, to taste
- Place the broccoli, water or broth, potatoes, onions, and tarragon in a 4½-quart saucepan or Dutch oven. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium, cover the saucepan with a lid, and simmer the vegetables until they are tender, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Combine the milk, nutritional yeast flakes, almond butter, and mustard in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Puree the soup in batches. To do this, transfer a small portion of the cooked vegetables, some of the cooking water, and a small amount of the milk mixture to a blender. Process each batch until the mixture is completely smooth. Pour the blended soup into a large mixing bowl. Continue processing the rest of the soup in a similar fashion.
- Rinse out the saucepan and return the blended mixture to it. Place the saucepan over medium-low heat, and warm the soup, stirring often, until it is heated through.
- Season the soup with the salt and ground pepper, to taste. Serve hot.
Serving size: 1 cup Calories: 137 Fat: 6 gm Carbohydrates: 19 gm Protein: 5 gm