Everyone's Favorite Cream of Mushroom Soup
Yield:: 4 servings
Just a few basic ingredients combined with simple directions-and voila! - the best cream of mushroom soup ever!
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ pound mushrooms, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 4 cups warm water or vegetable broth
- 3 Tablespoons Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula nutritional yeast flakes
- 3 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- I teaspoon paprika
- I cup Tofu Sour Cream
- Place the oil in a 41/2--Quart saucepan or Dutch oven, and heat it over medium high. When the oil is hot, add the mushrooms and sauté until they are soft, about 4 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Gradually stir in the warm water or broth using a wire whisk. Work slowly and carefully to keep the mixture from lumping. Then stir in the nutritional yeast flakes, soy sauce, parsley, and paprika. Bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the saucepan with a lid, and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place the Tofu Sour Cream in a medium mixing bowl. Stir in about 1 cup of the hot soup. Mix well. Then stir this mixture back into the hot soup in the saucepan. Serve at once.
Calories: 157 Fat: 7 gm Carbohydrates: 13 gm Protein: 11 gm