Curried Tempeh Salad
Yield:: 4 servings
This chewy salad is great on crackers or in sandwiches. For an attractive luncheon, scoop the salad onto lettuce-lined plates, garnish it with a little paprika, and surround it with fresh tomato wedges.
- 8 ounces (½ pound) tempeh
- ½ cup diced celery
- ½ cup grated carrots
- ½ cup Low-Fat Egg-Free Mayonnaise, or your favorite egg- and dairy free mayonnaise
- ¼ cup thinly sliced scallions
- 2 to 4 Tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 Tablespoon Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula nutritional yeast flakes
- ½ to 1 teaspoon curry powder
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Steam the tempeh for 20 minutes. Let it cool until it can be comfortably handled. Cut the tempeh into ¼-inch cubes, and place it in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the tempeh, and mix them together gently but thoroughly.
- Season the salad with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve the salad at once, or transfer it to a storage container, and chill it in the refrigerator.
Calories: 198 Fat: 10 gm Carbohydrates: 14 gm Protein: 11 gm