This cheddar-style spread is sharp, tangy, and rich. It's reminiscent of the aged spreads found in small, brown pottery crocks in gourmet restaurants and specialty food shops.
- ½ pound reduced-fat regular tofu (firm), rinsed, patted dry, and crumbled
- 3 Tablespoons Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 Tablespoons tahini
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1½ Tablespoons light miso
- 1 teaspoon onion granules
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon garlic granules
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor fitted with a metal blade, and process until the mixture is very smooth. Stop the processor occasionally to stir the mixture and scrape down the sides of the work bowl.
- Spoon the mixture into a storage container, and chill it in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving. It will keep for about a week in the refrigerator.
- Derby Sage Cheeze:
- Add 1 teaspoon dried sage to the mixture before processing.
- Fiery Crock Cheeze:
- Add 1/s teaspoon cayenne pepper, more or less to taste, to the mixture before processing.
- Horseradish Crock Cheeze:
- Add 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish (not creamed) to the mixture before processing.
- Smoked Crock Cheeze:
- Add ¼ teaspoon liquid hickory smoke to the mixture before processing .
- Bugsy's Crock Cheeze:
- Stir ½ cup finely grated carrots, 3 tablespoons minced scallion, and 2 tablespoons minced parsley into the mixture after processing.
- Also try the variations for Classic White Uncheese
Serving size: 2 Tbsp Calories: 46 Fat: 3 gm Carbohydrates: 3 gm Protein: 4 gm