Chilled Zucchini Bisque
Yield:: 6 servings
This soup is thick, rich-tasting, and creamy, subtly seasoned with nutmeg. A refreshing first course for any warm weather meal.
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 4 cups water
- 1 Tablespoon Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula nutritional yeast flakes
- ¾ cup crumbled, lite silken tofu (firm)
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- Place the oil in a 41/2-quart saucepan or Dutch oven, and heat it over medium high. When the oil is hot, add the onion and zucchini, and sauté until they are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the water and nutritional yeast flakes, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the saucepan with a lid, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Puree the soup in batches in a blender, adding a portion of the tofu to each batch. Blend until the soup is very smooth and creamy. Pour each batch into a large mixing bowl after it has been processed.
- Stir in the salt, nutmeg, and pepper, to taste. Cover the bowl and refrigerate the soup for at least 4 hours or until the next day. Serve chilled.
Calories: 71 Fat: 5 gm Carbohydrates: 4 gm Protein: 3 gm