Yield:: 4 servings
These simple sandwiches make a quick and satisfying lunch. Serve them with pickle spears on the side, if you like.
- 8 ounces (½ pound) tempeh
- 4 Tablespoons tomato paste
- ¼ cup water
- I teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- I teaspoon chili powder
- I teaspoon soy sauce
- I to 2 teaspoons Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula nutritional yeast flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- several drops Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 4 whole grain buns, split in half
- Steam the tempeh for 20 minutes. Let it cool until it can be easily handled. Grate the tempeh on the coarse side of a grater, and place it in a medium mixing bowl. Stir in the remaining ingredients except the buns, and mix well.
- Place the buns on a dry baking sheet, cut side up. Spread the tops evenly with the tempeh mixture, spreading it to the edge of each bun. (This will help to keep the edges of the bun from burning.)
- Place the sandwiches under the broiler for 4 to 5 minutes. Watch closely so the sandwiches do not burn.
- Serve the sandwiches hot. They may be eaten by picking them up with your hands, or you can use a knife and fork.
Calories: 254 Fat: 5 gm Carbohydrates: 36 gm Protein: 16 gm