Cheddary Cheeze Soup
Yield:: 5 cups
This soup was a childhood favorite, so of course I was compelled to create a dairy- free version that was as creamy and rich tasting as the one I remember. Although the basic " plain " rendering below is delicious in its own right, the variations which follow are even more exciting and are a tasty way to tempt young ones to eat vegetables they might otherwise shun.
- 1 medium potato, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped
- l medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1½ cups crumbled, lite silken tofu (firm)
- ½ cup Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1¼ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon onion granules
- ¼ teaspoon garlic granules
- 1 cup low-fat, nondairy milk
- Place the potato, carrot, onion, and water in a 2-quart saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium, cover the saucepan with a lid, and simmer the vegetables, stirring once or twice, for 10 minutes or until they are tender.
- Combine the crumbled tofu, nutritional yeast flakes, lemon juice, salt, onion granules, and garlic granules in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Puree the soup in batches. To do this, transfer a small portion of the cooked vegetables, some of the cooking water, and a small of amount of the tofu mixture to a blender. Process each batch until the mixture is completely smooth. Pour the blended soup into a large mixing bowl. Continue processing the rest of the soup in a similar fashion.
- Rinse out the saucepan and return the blended mixture to it. Stir in the milk. Place the saucepan over low heat, and warm the soup through, stirring often, until it is hot.
- Prepare the recipe as directed on the previous page. Then add one of the following options to the finished soup:
- Broccoli or Cauliflower Cheeze Soup:
- Add 1½ cups broccoli or cauliflower, cut or broken into small florets, and steamed until tender.
- Cheezy Vegetable Soup:
- Add 1-10-ounce package of frozen vegetables, cooked according to the package directions, and drained.
- Green Peas & Cheeze Soup:
- Add 1½ cups frozen, loose-pack green peas, cooked according to the package directions, and drained.
- Herbed Cheddary Cheeze Soup:
- Add 1 to 1½ teaspoons of your favorite dried herb or 4 teaspoons of your favorite chopped, fresh herb. Herbs may also be added to the other variations above. Dill weed is particularly nice with green peas. Thyme or oregano is a good match with mixed vegetables. Basil is a pleasant complement to broccoli.
Serving size: 1 cup Calories: 123 Fat: 2 gm Carbohydrates: 17 gm Protein: 13 gm