Carrot Salad Sandwiches
Yield:: 4 sandwiches
This sandwich filling has a lively, bright flavor and an appealing orange color. It can be made in a jiffy or prepared ahead of time and chilled in the refrigerator.
- 2 Tablespoons tahini
- 2 Tablespoons light miso
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/s cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- ¼ cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 Tablespoons finely minced sweet onion
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- Place the tahini, miso, and nutritional yeast flakes in a small mixing bowl, and cream them together to make a paste.
- Gradually stir in the lemon juice to make a smooth, thick sauce.
- Stir the carrots, celery, parsley, and onions into the sauce, and mix until they are well combined. If desired , cover the bowl, and chill the salad in the refrigerator.
- To assemble the sandwiches, place four slices of the bread on a flat surface. Spread them equally with the Carrot Salad, then cover the salad with the remaining bread slices. Cut the sandwiches in half, and serve.
- The Cook's Secret
- Lettuce is a delicious addition to these sandwiches, as are tomato slices. We like to serve them with dill pickle spears on the side.
- Alternatively, instead of making sandwiches, scoop the salad into four large mounds. Line four plates with lettuce leaves, and place the mounds on top of the lettuce. Surround each plate with tomato wedges, and serve the salad with whole grain bread or crackers on the side.
Calories: 248 Fat: 7 gm Carbohydrates: 37 gm Protein: 10 gm