Barbecued Buffalo Zings
Yield:: 3 to 4 servings
These spicy, chewy strips are made with gluten, the protein in wheat. They make a great picnic or party treat. Just be sure to have plenty of napkins on hand!
- BARBECUE SAUCE:
- ⅓ cup water
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 3 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed hot red pepper flakes, or several drops Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 2 to 3 drops liquid hickory smoke (optional)
- ⅔ cup instant gluten flour (vital wheat gluten)
- 2 teaspoons Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula nutritional yeast flakes
- ¾ cup warm water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Mist a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray, and set it aside.
- Place all the ingredients for the sauce in a small mixing bowl, and stir them together until they are well combined. Set aside.
- Place the gluten flour and nutritional yeast flakes in a large mixing bowl, and stir them together. Stir in the water and mix well. The resulting gluten mixture will be moist. Place the gluten on a flat surface, and roll it out into a rectangle, as flat and thin as possible. Slice the gluten into 12 to 15 strips, about I-inch wide and 5-inches long. Place the strips on the prepared baking sheet at least one inch apart. Bake the strips on the center rack of the oven until they are puffed up, lightly browned, and crisp, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven, and prick each strip all over with a fork. Turn the strips over, and pour or spoon the reserved sauce (from step #2) evenly over them, covering the top and sides of each piece. Return the baking sheet to the oven, and cook the strips 10 to 15 minutes longer. Serve hot, room temperature, or cold.
Calories: 215 Fat: 3 gm Carbohydrates: 23 gm Protein: 24 gm