Yield:: 1½ cups
A simple white sauce with a refreshing twist.
- ¼ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1½ cups warm water or vegetable broth
- 2 Tablespoons tahini
- 2 Tablespoons minced fresh parsley, or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 Tablespoon Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula nutritional yeast flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- tiny pinch each ground black pepper and nutmeg
- Place the flour in a dry 2-quart saucepan, and toast it over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it is lightly browned and fragrant. Remove the saucepan from the heat. Gradually whisk in the water or vegetable broth and tahini until the sauce is very smooth. Then whisk in the parsley and nutritional yeast flakes.
- Cook the sauce over medium heat, stirring almost constantly with the wire whisk, until it is thickened, smooth, and bubbly. Remove the saucepan from the heat, and season the sauce with salt, black pepper, and nutmeg, to taste. Serve at once.
Serving size: ½ cup Calories: 53 Fat: 2 gm Carbohydrates: 5 gm Protein: 2 gm