Apple Crumb Pie with Cheddary Crust
Yield:: one 9-inch pie (8 servings)
This delectable fruit pie makes a fitting dessert for holiday gatherings, dinner parties, or everyday, home-style suppers.
- HAVE READY:
- 1 recipe Cheddary Pie Crust, unbaked
- CRUMB TOPPING:
- ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ¼ cup light unbleached cane sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 8 cups peeled, cored, and thinly sliced Granny Smith apples or other tart baking apples
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup light unbleached cane sugar
- ⅓ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Prepare the pie crust dough as directed. Ease it into a 9-inch pie plate, and flute the edges. Do NOT prick the pie crust with a fork. Set aside.
- For the Crumb Topping, place the flour, sugar, and cinnamon in a small mixing bowl. Cut in the oil using a pastry blender or fork until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Set aside.
- Place the apple slices in a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle the lemon juice over the apples, and toss to distribute the lemon juice evenly.
- In a separate small bowl, place the remaining sugar, flour, cinnamon , and salt. Mix well. Sprinkle this mixture over the apples, and toss them until they are evenly coated.
- Turn the apple mixture into the pastry-lined pie plate. Sprinkle the apple mixture with the reserved Crumb Topping. Bake on the center rack of the oven for 50 minutes. Lay a sheet of foil loosely over the pie during the last 10 minutes of baking to keep the topping and crust from over-browning. Serve warm or chilled.
Calories: 382 Fat: 11 gm Carbohydrates: 64 gm Protein: 7 gm