This is a dairy- free take-off of the beloved mayonnaise-style garlic sauce that originated in the Provence region of southern France. It's a delightful accompaniment to pasta, potatoes, beans, greens, tempeh, tofu, steamed vegetable, soy grains.
- 1 large head of garlic
- 1½ cups crumbled, lite silken tofu (firm)
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- heaping ½ teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Roast the garlic by peeling off as much papery skin as will come off easily while keeping the head intact. Brush or rub the garlic liberally with olive oil. Place the garlic in a small, shallow baking dish in the toaster oven (to conserve energy), and roast it at 350°F until the outside is brown and the innermost cloves are soft, about 30 to 40 minutes. Allow the garlic to cool. Then slice off the top of the head, and squeeze the roasted cloves from the skin into a small bowl.
- Place the roasted garlic and the remaining ingredients in a blender or a food processor fitted with a metal blade, and process several minutes until the mixture is very smooth and creamy.
- Use at once , or transfer the sauce to a storage container, and chill it in the refrigerator. It will keep for about a week.
Serving size: 2 Tbsp Calories: 44 Fat: 3 gm Carbohydrates: 2 gm Protein: 3 gm