Pour this thick, luscious sauce over steamed vegetables, baked potatoes, macaroni (for instant macaroni and cheeze), toast points, corn chips (for in-a-flash nachos), or drizzle it over pizza or casseroles before or after baking.
- Place all the ingredients in a blender, and process until completely smooth.
- Pour the blended mixture into a 1-quart saucepan, and place it over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring constantly with a wire whisk, until the sauce is very thick and smooth. Serve hot.
Smoky Melty Cheeze:
Reduce the salt to ½ teaspoon, and blend in 1 tablespoon light miso and ¼ teaspoon liquid hickory smoke.
Chili Melty Cheeze:
Stir in ¼ cup canned chopped green chilies.
Orange Melty Cheeze:
Blend in ¼ to ½ teaspoon paprika.
Curried Melty Cheeze:
Blend in ½ teaspoon curry powder.
The Cook’s Secrets:
Leftover sauce may be stored in the refrigerator. It will become very thick and firm when chilled, but will turn “melty” again when gently reheated. A double boiler works well for reheating.
- Serving size: ¼ cups
- Calories: 83
- Fat: 4 gm
- Carbohydrates: 9 gm
- Protein: 5 gm
Share this recipe:
- 1 ⅓ cups water
- ¼ cup Red Star® nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup quick-cooking rolled oats (not instant)
- 2 Tablespoons tahini
- 1 ½ Tablespoons arrowroot, kuzu, or cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon onion granules
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic granules