Nutritional yeast flakes impart a captivating flavor filled with homey warmth. Use this lovely sauce on vegetables, potatoes, croquettes, grains, or biscuits.
Yield:: 1½ cups
- ¼ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ¼ cup Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula nutritional yeast flakes
- 1½ cups warm water or vegetable broth
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon onion granules
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- Place the flour in a dry 2-quart saucepan, and toast it over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it is lightly browned and fragrant.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat, and stir in the nutritional yeast flakes. Gradually whisk in the water or vegetable broth, soy sauce, and oil until the gravy is very smooth. Then whisk in the seasonings.
- Cook the gravy over medium heat, stirring almost constantly with the wire whisk, until it is thickened, smooth, and bubbly. Serve at once.
Serving size: ¼ cup Calories: 56 Fat: 3 gm Carbohydrates: 5 gm Protein: 4 gm