Yield:: 12 servings
Crisp, cheesy -tasting, savory delicacies that are ideal as snacks, appetizers, or accompaniments to soups and salads.
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- % cup Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 teaspoons non-aluminum baking powder (such as Rumford)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup corn oil or canola oil
- approx. ¾ cup cold water or low-fat, nondairy milk, more or less as needed
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Mist a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray, and set it aside.
- Place the flour, nutritional yeast flakes, baking powder, chili powder, garlic granules, and salt in a large mixing bowl, and stir them together.
- Cut in the oil with a pastry blender or fork until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- _ Sprinkle the water or milk over the flour mixture, tossing gently with a fork to lightly moisten the dry ingredients. The flour should be evenly moistened, not damp or soggy, and able to be formed into a ball. Knead the dough 20 to 25 times in the bowl until it is smooth.
- With your hands, quickly form the dough into two equal balls. Place one of these balls between 2 sheets of waxed paper, flatten it slightly, and roll it out 1/s inch thick into a rectangle. Carefully remove the top sheet of waxed paper, and cut the dough into small shapes (squares, rectangles, triangles, circles, etc.) using a biscuit cutter, the rim of a small drinking glass, or knife. Transfer the crackers to the prepared baking sheet. Prick the tops of the crackers all over with a fork. Roll out and cut the remaining dough in the same fashion.
- Bake the crackers for about 10 minutes, or until they are golden brown. Transfer the crackers to a cooling rack using a metal spatula. When comple t ely cool, place the crackers in an airtight container, and store them at room temperature.
- The Cook's Secrets:
- Lightly moistening your countertop with water will help to keep the waxed paper from sliding.
Serving size: 4 crackers Calories: 126 Fat: 5gm Carbohydrates: 16gm Protein: 6gm