Melty White Cheeze
Yield:: 1½ cups
Pour this thick, luscious sauce over steamed vegetables, baked potatoes, macaroni (for instant macaroni and cheeze), toast points, corn chips (for in-a-flash nachos), or drizzle it over pizza or casseroles before or after baking.
- 1⅓ cups water
- ¼ cup Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula nutritional yeast flakes
- ¼ cup quick-cooking rolled oats (not instant)
- 2 Tablespoons tahini
- 1½ Tablespoons arrowroot, kuzu, or cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon onion granules
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic granules
- Place all the ingredients in a blender, and process until completely smooth.
- Pour the blended mixture into a 1-quart saucepan, and place it over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring constantly with a wire whisk, until the sauce is very thick and smooth. Serve hot.
- Smoky Melty Cheeze:
- Reduce the salt to ½ teaspoon, and blend in 1 tablespoon light miso and ¼ teaspoon liquid hickory smoke.
- Chili Melty Cheeze:
- Stir in ¼ cup canned chopped green chilies.
- Orange Melty Cheeze:
- Blend in ¼ to ½ teaspoon paprika.
- Curried Melty Cheeze:
- Blend in ½ teaspoon curry powder.
- The Cook's Secrets:
- Leftover sauce may be stored in the refrigerator. It will become very thick and firm when chilled, but will turn "melty" again when gently reheated. A double boiler works well for reheating.
Serving size: ¼ cups Calories: 83 Fat: 4 gm Carbohydrates: 9 gm Protein: 5 gm