Elegant Bean Pâté
Yield:: 2 cups
Meaty Great Northern beans are blended with a prudent mix of vegetables to create a magnificent spread any host would be proud of. Of course, it makes a fabulous sand wich filling as well.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup minced onions
- 1 cup minced mushrooms
- 1 medium carrot, very finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 ½ cups cooked or canned Great Northern beans, rinsed well and drained
- 2 Tablespoons Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- ¼ cup minced fresh parsley
- Place the oil in a 9-inch or 10-inch skillet, and heat it over medium-high. When the oil is hot, add the onion, mushrooms, carrot , and garlic, and saute them for 10 minutes.
- Place the sauteed vegetables, beans, nutritional yeast flakes, and soy sauce in a food processor fitted with a metal blade, and process until the mixture is fairly smooth. You will need to stop and start the processor occasionally to stir the mixture and scrape down the sides of the work bowl. The finished product should be very thick with a bit of texture to it.
- Stir in the parsley, or add it to the mixture in the food processor, and pulse until it is evenly distributed.
- Transfer the mixture to a storage container, and chill it in the refrigerator for at least two hours before serving. It will keep for about a week.
- The Cook's Secrets :
- The fastest and easiest way to prepare the onions, carrot and mushrooms is to pulse them briefly in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. The same food processor can then be used to puree the Pâté.
Serving size: 2 Tbsp Calories: 38 Fat: 1 gm Carbohydrates: 5 gm Protein: 2 gm