Cheezy Bread Sticks
Yield:: 3 dozen bread sticks
Although great with any meal, these delicious bread sticks are ideal with soups and salads.
- 2 Tablespoons active dry baking yeast
- 2 Tablespoons unbleached cane sugar or other sweetener of your choice
- 1 cup warm water (110°F to 115 °F)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula nutritional yeast flakes
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic granules pinch of ground black pepper
- approx. 3 cups whole wheat bread flour, more or less as needed
- sesame or poppy seeds, as needed (optional)
- Place the yeast and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add the warm water, and let the mixture rest for about 10 minutes until it is foamy. Then stir in the oil.
- Stir in the nutritional yeast flakes, salt, garlic granules, and pepper, and mix well. Then gradually beat in the 3 cups of flour (more or less, as needed) with a wooden spoon, adding only ½ cup at a time, until the mixture forms a soft but kneadable dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured board, and knead it for 5 minutes, until it is smooth and elastic, adding more flour as necessary. Alternatively, knead the dough directly in the mixing bowl.
- Lightly oil a clean, large mixing bowl, and place the dough in it. Turn the dough around so that it is lightly oiled all over. Cover the bowl with a clean, damp tea towel, and let the dough rise in a warm place for about 60 minutes (see The Cook's Secrets on next page), or until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Mist two baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray, and set them aside.
- Punch the dough straight down into the center. Then punch it in about 8 places. Knead the dough briefly, then slice it into quarters .Working with one of the quarters at a time, cut it into 9 equal pieces. Keep the remaining dough covered with plastic wrap or a lightly dampened tea towel. Shape each piece into a pencil-size stick by rolling it between the palms of your hands or between the palm of one hand and a bread board or countertop. If desired, roll it in sesame or poppy seeds. Place the bread sticks as they are formed onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Using the center rack of the oven, bake one sheet of bread sticks at a time for about 10 minutes, or until they are golden brown. Keep the remaining sheet of bread sticks covered with plastic wrap or a lightly dampened tea towel. Transfer the baked bread sticks to a cooling rack, and bake the second batch in the same fashion. Serve warm or at room temperature .
- The Cook's Secrets:
- The best "warm place" (about 85°F to l00°F) to let dough rise is in a gas oven with a pilot light (do not tum the oven on) or in an electric oven heated at 200°F for 1 or 2 minutes only and then turned of[ (Place the covered bowl of bread dough in the oven after you have turned off the heat.)
Calories: 91 Fat: 1gm Carbohydrates: 17gm Protein: 2gm