Yield:: about 12 biscuits
These highly acclaimed scratch biscuits are exceptionally easy to make
- 1 scant cup low-fat, nondairy milk
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 Tablespoon non-aluminum baking powder (such as Rumford)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic granules
- ¼ cup corn oil or canola oil
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Pour the milk into a small glass measuring cup, and stir in the lemon juice. Let it rest at room temperature for 10 minutes to sour.
- Place the flour, nutritional yeast flakes, baking powder, chili powder, salt, and garlic granules in a medium mixing bowl, and stir them together. Pour the oil into the flour mixture, and cut it in with a pastry blender or a fork until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Using a fork, stir in just enough of the reserved soured milk (from step #1) so the dough leaves the sides of the bowl and rounds up into a ball. (Too much milk will make the dough sticky; not enough milk will make the biscuits dry.)
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead it gently 25 to 30 times, until it is smooth. Gently form it into a ball.
- Re-flour the work surface and roll or pat the dough into a 1/z.inch thick circle. Cut the dough with a floured 2½ -inch biscuit cutter. Place the biscuits on a dry baking sheet as soon as they are cut, arranging them about inch apart for crusty sides or touching for soft sides.
- Place the baking sheet on the center rack of the oven, and bake the biscuits for 15 to 18 minutes, or until they are golden brown. Immediately transfer the biscuits to a cooling rack, and serve them hot or warm.
Calories: 130 Fat: 5gm Carbohydrates: 16gm Protein: 6gm