Cheddary Pie Crust
Yield:: one 9-inch crust (8 servings)
Preparing flaky, whole grain pastry is not particularly difficult-the secret is in the technique. Work quickly and handle the dough as little as possible to guarantee the flakiest results. Use this simple, delicious crust for any sweet or savory pie.
- 1⅓ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ⅓ cup Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula nutritional yeast flakes
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup corn oil or canola oil
- approximately 3 to 6 Tablespoons cold, low-fat, nondairy milk or water, more or less as needed
- Have ready one 9-inch pie plate. Place the flour, nutritional yeast flakes, and salt in a large mixing bowl, and stir them together.
- Cut in the oil with a pastry blender or fork until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle the milk or water over the flour mixture, tossing gently with a fork to lightly moisten the dry ingredients. The flour should be evenly moistened enough so it will hold together, but it should not be damp or soggy. (Too much liquid will make the dough sticky; not enough liquid will make it dry.) With your hands, quickly form the dough into a ball, handling it as little as possible.
- Place the dough between 2 sheets of waxed paper, and roll it out into a circle
- The Cook's Secrets:
- Lightly moistening your countertop with water will help to keep the waxed paper from sliding.
Calories: 135 Fat: 7 gm Carbohydrates: 15 gm Protein: 3 gm