Yield:: 2 to 4 servings (1 or 2 burritos per person)
Bean burritos are always fun to construct, and they make a satisfying lunch or dinner. Burritos are quick and easy to prepare, and kids enjoy them enormously.
- HAVE READY:
- 4 whole wheat flour tortillas (lard-free)
- BURRITO FILLING:
- 1½ cups cooked or canned pinto beans, rinsed well and drained
- ½ cup tomato sauce, or 2 Tablespoons tomato paste mixed with 6 Tablespoons water
- 2 Tablespoons canned chopped green chilies, or 2 Tablespoons finely chopped red or green bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 to 3 teaspoons Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula nutritional yeast flakes
- ¼ teaspoon garlic granules
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano leaves several drops Tabasco sauce, to taste
- TOPPING OPTIONS (select one or more):
- ½ to 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 ripe, medium tomato, chopped
- ½ of a small avocado, cut into chunks
- ¼ cup shredded carrots
- ¼ cup chopped, fresh cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup sliced black olives 1 to 2 scallions, sliced
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons Tofu Sour Cream
- 2 Tablespoons chopped onions
- To make the filling, place all the filling ingredients in a 2-quart saucepan . Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium, and simmer the mixture uncovered for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the saucepan from the heat. Mash the beans slightly with the back of a wooden spoon, a fork, or a potato masher.
- Warm the tortillas by placing them one at a time in a dry 9-inch or 10-inch skillet. Place the skillet over medium heat for about I minute , or just until the tortilla is heated. Immediately remove the tortilla from the skillet, and lay it on a flat surface. Cover the tortilla with a clean tea towel to keep it warm. Warm the remaining tortillas in the same fashion.
- Spoon ¼ of the bean mixture onto each of the tortillas, placing it in a strip along one side, slightly off center. Add your favorite toppings, and additional yeast flakes, if desired, and roll the tortillas around the filling.
- To eat, carefully pick up the burritos with your hands, or use a knife and fork.
Calories: 246 Fat: 2 gm Carbohydrates: 45 gm Protein: 10 gm