Yield:: 1 loaf (6 to 8 servings)
An aromatic bread packed with the irresistible flavor of pizza! Top it with Roasted Garlic Butter, Classic White Uncheese, Mock Boursin Cheeze Spread, or Crock Cheeze.
- 1½ Tablespoons active dry baking yeast
- 1 Tablespoon unbleached cane sugar or other sweetener of your choice
- l¼ cups warm water (1 10°F to 115°F)
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 to 2 teaspoons finely minced or pressed garlic
- 2 Tablespoons Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- approx. 3 cups whole wheat bread flour, more or less as needed
- Place the yeast and sweetener in a large mixing bowl. Add the warm water, and stir to dissolve the yeast and sugar. Let the mixture rest for about 5 to 10 minutes until it is foamy. Then whisk in the tomato paste, oil, and garlic.
- Stir in the nutritional yeast flakes, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper, and mix well. Then gradually beat in the 3 cups of flour (more or less, as needed) with a wooden spoon , adding only ½ cup at a time, until the mixture forms a soft but kneadable dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured board, and knead it for 5 minutes, adding additional flour as necessary, until it is smooth and elastic.
- Lightly oil a clean, large mixing bowl, and place the dough in it. Turn the dough around so that it is lightly oiled all over. Cover the bowl with a clea n, damp tea towel, and let the dough rise in a warm place for 60 minutes (see The Cook's Secrets on next page), or until doubled in size.
- Punch the dough down in the center. 8. Preheat the oven to 425 °F. Bake the Then punch it in about 8 places. Gently bread for 10 minutes, then lower the press out the air, and form the dough temperature to 325°F. Bake for 45 to into a smooth ball. Return it to the 60 minutes longer or until done (see bowl for a second .rise of 30 minutes. The Cook's Secrets below).
- Mist an 8½-inch x 41/2-inch loaf pan 9. Turn the bread out of the pan onto a with nonstick cooking spray, and set it cooling rack, and carefully turn it right aside.
- Shape the dough into a loaf, and place it in the prepared pan. Cover the pan with the damp tea towel, and allow the dough to rest for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Bake the bread for 10 minutes, then lower the temperature to 325°F. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes longer or until done (see The Cook's Secrets below).
- Turn the bread out of the pan onto a cooling rack, and carefully turn it right side up. If desired, brush the top with additional olive oil to keep the crust soft. Let the bread cool before slicing.
- The Cook's Secrets:
- The best "warm place" (abou t 85°F to 100°F) to let dough rise is in a gas oven with a pilot light (do not tum the oven on) or in an electric oven heated at 200°F for 1 or 2 minutes only and then turned off (Place the covered bowl of bread dough in the oven after you have turned off the heat.)
- After the loaf has been baked, it should slide easily out of the pan and be a golden brown color. Tap the bottom with your fingertips; it should sound hollow.
Calories: 201 Fat: 4gm Carbohydrates: 33gm Protein: 7gm