Phenomenal French Toast
Yield:: 2 servings
Nutritional yeast adds a subtle "eggy" flavor to this wonderful breakfast treat. Serve it with pure maple syrup, fruit syrup, or your favorite fruit preserves. There are those who even like this French toast with ketchup!
- ⅔ cup low-fat, nondairy milk
- 4 teaspoons whole wheat pastry flour
- 1½ teaspoons Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula nutritional yeast flakes pinch of salt (optional)
- 4 slices whole grain or sourdough bread
- Place the milk, flour, nutritional yeast flakes, and salt, if using, in a small mixing bowl, and beat them together with a wire whisk to make a smooth, thin batter. Pour the batter into a wide, shallow bowl.
- Dip the bread slices, one at a time, into the batter, making sure that both sides are well saturated.
- Mist a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray, or coat it with a thin layer of canola oil. Place the skillet oyer medium-high heat. When the skillet is hot, add the soaked bread slices in a single layer. If all four slices will not fit in the skillet comfortably, cook just two slices at a time. Be sure to add a thin layer of canola oil to the skillet before cooking the second batch.
- When the bottoms of the bread slices are well browned, carefully turn each slice over using a metal spatula. Cook the other sides until they are a deep golden brown.
- Slice each piece of Fren ch Toast diago nally into two triangles. Arrange the pieces attractively on two plates, and serve hot.
- The Cook's Secrets:
- To test if the skillet is properly heated, moisten your fingertips with water and flick a few droplets into the pan. If the droplets sputter and steam, the skillet is ready. If the droplets skitter rapidly across the bottom, then the skillet is extremely hot and the heat may be turned up too high.
- A nonstick skillet will work best. If you do not have a nonstick skillet, a thin layer of canola oil must be added to the skillet between each batch to help keep the French Toast from sticking to the pan.
- If you like, you can keep the first batch of French Toast warm by placing the cooked slices on a small, nonstick baking sheet in a 300°F oven while the second batch is cooking . If you do not have a nonstick baking sheet, use a regular baking sheet misted with nonstick cooking spray.
Calories: 193 Fat: 3gm Carbohydrates: 33gm Protein: 9g