Yield:: 2 cups
This no-bake, vegetarian pate has melt-in-your-mouth appeal. It's delicious as an appetizer mounded on lettuce leaves, as a spread for crackers, as a stuffing for celery sticks or mushroom caps, or as a sandwich filling.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- ½ cup walnut or pecan pieces
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms
- ½ teaspoon crumbled, dried thyme leaves
- ½ pound reduced-fat regular tofu (firm), rinsed, patted dry, and crumbled
- 3 Tablespoons Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- pinch of ground nutmeg (optional)
- Place the olive oil in a large skillet, and heat it over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the onion and walnuts. Reduce the heat to medium, and cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and thyme to the skillet, and cook, stirring often, for about 10 to 12 minutes longer, or until the mushrooms are tender and nearly all of the liquid has cooked off.
- Transfer the skillet mixture to a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Add the remaining ingredients, and process for several minutes or until the mixture is very smooth and creamy.
- Serve the pate warm, or transfer it to a storage container, and chill it in the refrigerator.
Serving size: 2 Tbsp Calories: 54 Fat: 3 gm Carbohydrates: 3 gm Protein: 3 gm