Yield:: about 8 to 10 servings
Hailing from Poland, this exceptionally moist and flavorful apple cake is leavened with yeast.
- 1 Tablespoon active dry baking yeast
- ¼ cup warm apple juice (or 1 Tablespoon apple juice concentrate mixed with 3 Tablespoons hot water)
- ¾ cup crumble,dlite silken tofu (firm)
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 cups peeled and shredded apples
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup raisins or chopped dates
- 1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Mist an 8½-inch x 4½-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray, and set it aside.
- Place the baking yeast in a large mixing bowl. Pour the apple juice over it, and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Place the tofu, ½ cup maple syrup, oil, nutritional yeast flakes, vanilla extract, and salt in a blender, and process until creamy and smooth. Pour this mixture into the yeast, and mix well.
- Add the flour, apples, nuts, and dried fruit, and mix well to make a thick batter. Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan, and cover it with a clean, damp tea towel. Let the batter rise in a warm spot for 1 hour (see The Cook's Secrets below).
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon of maple syrup over the loaf, and sprinkle the top with the cinnamon . Bake on the center rack of the oven for 1 hour. Remove the loaf from the oven, and place it on a cooling rack. Let the loaf cool completely in the pan before removing and slicing it.
- The Cook's Secrets:
- The best "warm place" (about 85°F to 100°F) to let dough rise is in a gas oven with a pilot light (do not turn the oven on) or in an electric oven heated at 200°F for I or 2 minutes only and then turned off (Place the covered bowl of bread dough in the oven after you have turned off the heat.) Be sure to remove the dough from the oven before you preheat the oven to bake the bread.
Calories: 242 Fat: 6gm Carbohydrates: 41gm Protein: 6 gm